With the start of 2019, we’re counting down and looking back at the Top 10 events in 2018 at North Dallas High School. North Dallas Athletic Coordinator Brian Barnett, who received the Dallas ISD co-athletic coordinator award in May, assisted in the order of events. This includes events from the 2017-18 and 2018-19 school years.
Here we go (drum roll):
The North Dallas boys and girls cross country teams qualified for regionals
10. (tie) North Dallas boys and girls cross country teams advanced to Class 4A regionals in October. Led by Coach Troy Power, the girls finished second and the boys finished third in district to earn a spot in regionals. https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/10/23/north-dallas-cross-country-teams-compete-at-regional-meet/
The Bulldogs tam tennis team included (front row, from left) Celis Orodonez, Daniel Garrido Lopez, Noel Lopez, Lizandro Quiroz, and Modesto Ottenwarden; (back row, from left) Angel Bazan, Cristina Dominguez, Karina Meza, Jennifer Lainez, Sky Ramirez, Judith Juan, Yazzie Rojas, and and Coach William Prussack. Not pictured are Adan Galvan, Christopher Shay, and Sanam Kumar (Townview)
10. (Tie) North Dallas, led by Coach William Prussack, won the District 12-4A title in team tennis, and advanced to the playoffs. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/10/15/north-dallas-tennis-team-takes-on-melissa-in-first-round-of-team-tennis-playoffs/
Armani Branham holds the ball that she hit the grand slam. Her teammates signed the ball.
9. North Dallas senior Armani Branham hit a grand slam in March on North Dallas softball field. This was also the first time a North Dallas softball player has hit a home run on the home field. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/04/12/north-dallas-armani-branham-recaps-grand-slam-it-went-straight-down-the-middle-and-over-the-fence/
The Lady Bulldogs clinched a 5A playoff spot in January.
8. North Dallas girls basketball team clinched a spot in the Class 5A playoffs in January. The Lady Bulldogs finished fourth in District 12-5A to advance for the second year in a row. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/01/29/with-playoff-spot-clinched-north-dallas-girls-take-aim-at-third-place-vs-adamson/
North Dallas’ Lady Bulldogs clinched a playoff spot with a fourth-place finish.
7. North Dallas girls soccer team finished fourth in District 12-5A and qualified for the playoffs in March. The Lady Bulldogs defeated Thomas Jefferson in bidistrict round but lost in the second round to Midlothian. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/03/23/lady-bulldogs-clinch-playoff-spot-close-regular-season-against-ba-on-saturday/
The Lady Bulldogs clinched a Class 4A playoff spot in October.
6. The North Dallas volleyball team made the playoffs in District 12-4A in October. Led by Coach Alana Cummings, the Lady Bulldogs won four of five matches in second half of the season to finish in a tie for third place in district. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/10/25/north-dallas-volleyball-team-plays-roosevelt-for-third-place-friday-at-loos/
Seniors Diana Romero and Jeremiah Cooper were named North Dallas’ 2017-18 top student-athletes.
5. Seniors Diana Romero, who competed in volleyball, track and field, and soccer, and Jeremiah Cooper, who competed in football, track and field, and wrestling, were named 2017-18 top athletes at the North Dallas sports banquet in May. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/05/24/diana-romero-and-jeremiah-cooper-named-north-dallas-top-student-athletes/
Willy (Deion Sanders in disguise) and Coach Desireé Allen talk about giving back to help the kids at North Dallas.
4. North Dallas assistant coach Desireé Allen appeared on “CBS’ “Undercover Boss: Celebrity Edition” in June. Former NFL standout Deion Sanders, in disguise as Willy, learned first-hand the compassion that Allen has for the North Dallas student-athletes and the community. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/06/02/deion-sanders-awards-north-dallas-coach-desiree-allen-for-her-compassion-to-the-community/
North Dallas dropped to Class 4A in the 2018-19 realignment announced in February.
3. North Dallas dropped to Class 4A in the 2018-19 realignment in February due to enrollment figures. The Bulldogs’ new district will include old rivals in the Dallas ISD. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/02/02/north-dallas-to-join-district-8-4a-div-i-in-football-and-12-4a-in-volleyball-and-other-sports/
The Bulldogs celebrate their victory over Adamson to win the District 12-5A championship on April 27.
2. The North Dallas baseball team clinched the District 12-5A title, with a 9-1 victory over Adamson in April. The Bulldogs won their bidistrict game but lost in the second round to Midlothian. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/04/25/bulldogs-hard-work-pays-off-with-district-12-5a-baseball-title/
The renovations at North Dallas will include the closing of Haskell Avenue.
1. North Dallas will receive $46.5 million in renovations at the school, including the closing of Haskell Avenue and the addition of a 2,000-seat competition gym. Led by Principal Katherine Eska and school trustee Dustin Marshall, the Dallas ISD school board approved the renovations at its December meeting. Visit https://ndhsbulldogathletics.com/2018/12/28/great-news-north-dallas-to-get-46-5m-in-renovations-haskell-avenue-to-be-closed-new-2000-seat-gym-planned/